In a program designed to incubate new businesses in Worcester, the Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce and its partners, The Venture Forum and Running Start, named 12 winners of the first class of StartUp Worcester entrepreneurs on Thursday, May 7.
Selected from a pool of applicants from local colleges and universities, the 12 businesses include three digital game developers, a real estate developer, a hydroponics company, a fashion blog/consultant and technology companies focusing on city engagements, fitness and transportation. TVF volunteer and this year’s Five-Minute Pitch Contest organizer Aaron Birt is among those selected with his company YourScene.
Each company won a year’s membership in The Venture Forum and the Worcester Chamber, as well as workspace at Running Start’s co-working location at 95 Prescott Street.
Read more about the new members and their businesses below.
• Breeze Grigas -- Becker College; company name: Zephyr Workshop
- game developer - founded in January 2013 by Becker College alumni. Has made appearances and spoken at large-scale events around the region
• Ryan Canuel -- Becker College; company name: Petricore Games
- game developer focused on mobile devices
• Federico Sotomayor -- Clark University; company name: ISLA International, Inc.
-Company plans to empower small island communities in the Caribbean with resilient and sustainable energy, water, and food infrastructure. Company founded in March 2014
• Alexander Turgeon and Abhijit Singh -- Clark University; company name: WooConnect
- Smart phone and web application company that integrates and connects campuses with their students and community to discover the best events and promotions in their area
• Christopher J. Dibble -- Clark University; company name: Agraponics LLC
- Bio-tech company integrating technology into food production
• Patricia De Carvalho and Hannah Martin -- Clark University; company name: The Fashion Cookbook
- An image consulting service and fashion blog with a holistic and educational approach helping people develop their personal style and improve their self confidence. Founded in Sept. 2014
• Taylor Bearden -- Clark University; company LiveLab
- Company will develop entrepreneurial co-housing in Worcester
• Timothy Gardner -- College of the Holy Cross; company name: Sprezza Technologies
- Technology company focused on leveraging infrastructure to increase the effectiveness of existing transportation systems
• Mark James Lambert --Worcester State University; company name: Lambert’s Landcare
- Company specializing in landcare management
• Elias Aoude –- WPI; company name: For All To Play
- Interactive media and game development studio founded in 2014
• Chris Molica – WPI; company name: Sensae
- Biomedical and robotics engineering utilizing lean technology focuses on providing sensors and systems that together create a fitness feedback platform for adaptive instructive exercise and physical therapy; founded in 2014
• Aaron Birt – WPI/partner from WSU; company name: YourScene
- A mobile app company to discover the events that you are interested in attending, no matter where you are; founded in 2014
Read the article here.